BIC play safe! be safe!®
Children playing with fire cause hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries each year. In 1992 Fireproof Children Company began working with BIC Corporation and other child development specialists to create the award-winning play safe! be safe!® classroom kit. Since 1994, more than 108,000 play safe! be safe! kits have been distributed to classrooms, libraries, fire departments and hospitals in more than 40 countries.
BIC also selected Fireproof Children to present play safe! be safe! training workshops. The company has presented more than 160 workshops in 50 states and Puerto Rico and 9 Canadian provinces.
Endorsed by the New York State Professional Firefighters Association and winner of the Director’s Choice Award for Best Curriculum for Early Childhood News, the play safe! be safe! workshop is presented by Dr. Robert Cole, and Dr. Holly Brown. Dr. Cole is an expert in children's unintentional injuries, president of Fireproof Children, and an Associate Professor at the University of Rochester. Dr. Brown is a Doctor of Nursing and member of the University of Rochester School of Nursing faculty, where she serves as co-director of the Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program.
Workshop participants receive:
- 3 hours of training, eligible for CEU credits.
- A play safe! be safe! multi-media classroom kit available in English, Spanish and French, including DVD, activity boards, Keep Away!/Aléjate card game, and Resource Book (To sample the play safe! be safe! lessons and activities, visit www.playsafebesafe.com or www.ninossegurosninoscontentos.com for the Spanish version, or www.jsuisprudentjsuiscontent.com for the French version)
- Strategies to involve parents in home fire safety, and how to work with local community fire service to promote fire education and prevention.
Workshop participants learn:
- How vulnerable young children are to fire and burn injuries.
- The surprising frequency of children's misuse of fire and their distorted perception and limited capacity to understand the potential danger of fire. Effective developmentally appropriate methods of teaching fire prevention to young children
- How to motivate children and failies to change behaviors using the principles of the Helath Belief Model of Behavior Change.
The workshop can be presented in one of four workshop formats to suit your training needs:
- The play safe! be safe! Ambassador program, a train the trainer workshop for program managers and training directors.
- A large community program for teachers, day care providers, fire safety educators, and other health, safety and education professionals.
- A combination community and train the trainer workshop.
- A state-wide or regional video conerence.
Each year BIC Corporation provides grants to present 8 free play safe! be safe! workshops in the U.S. and Canada. Priority is given to communities which can demonstrate commitment to fire safety education and are able to provide a 'host' that helps with coordination and audience recruitment. For more information, visit http://workshops.playsafebesafe.com
If you are interested in ordering a play safe! be safe! kit please click here
Learn how other communities are using play safe!
“How easy the kit is to use! And so developmentally appropriate!” Ft. Wayne, IN
“There are so many different ways to engage the children with play safe! be safe! This will be exciting for our preschool.” Topeka KS
“Great program with an important life-saving message. I know more about how children learn so I can present the material in a meaningful manner.” Pittsburgh PA
“I enjoyed the training on the program, but also the information on how to teach others – like two trainings in one.” Austin TX
“A highly interactive workshop with good discussion about how to effectively motivate people. The speaker had excellent facilitation skills.” Edmonton AB
“Comprehensive and very insightful! Excellent instructor with a knowledgeable and easygoing approach.” Toronto, ON
“The workshop made me really appreciate the ability I have to educate the children in my school and their parents. Wonderful kit, very appropriate and useful.” Victoria BC
Please contact Dr. Robert Cole or (585) 383-6501 if you would like additional information.
See our Calendar for details of upcoming play safe! be safe! workshops in the U.S. and Canada.
Other training programs offered by Fireproof Children